Questions concerning Security Log

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 7 09:08:06 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks. I tryed to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and found that it is
> either empty or does not exist. In emacs i just get a blank screen. So
> maybe I don't even have ssh on this computer? I did a FC3 desktop
> installation.

Do you have openssh-server installed?

$ rpm -qa 'openssh*'

It sounds a bit strange that you should have sshd alert messages in your
logs if you're not running an ssh server.

See also what's listening on your ssh port:
# netstat -nalp | grep :22

>>3. Consider turning off password authentication altogether and using
>>certificates instead.
>
> I will look into this. As far as I can see, I would need to purchase a
> certificate?

No, you generate them yourself.

There's an introduction at:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=OpenSSH