how to change ownership on all files in a folder

thufir no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 7 10:00:05 UTC 2005

> "Bryan M. Johns" wrote:
> use the following as root at a shell from the directory above your
> target directory (eg - example):
>
> chown -R user:user example
>
> *Bryan M. Johns*
>
> *One Ring Group, Inc.*
> 300 West Wieuca Road
> Building One
> Suite 205
> Atlanta, GA 30342
> 404.303.9900 X: 104
> *http://www.oneringgroup.com*
> <http://www.oneringgroup.com>
>

> Claude Jones wrote:
>

> > Pardon if this is too basic. Is there a way to change ownership for
> > all files in a folder? I want to change from root to user.

copying a directory of files from the cd to /home/thufir creates a ton of locked files with root ownership.  Whether this makes sense, dunno, but it can be inconvenient.

do people recursively go through these files, or is there an alternate solution?

thanks,

Thufir

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org