bind problem

List list at nchost.net
Thu Apr 7 11:56:50 UTC 2005

>>> $ dig dwsmedia.info +trace
>>>
>>> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> dwsmedia.info +trace
>>> ;; global options:  printcmd
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> .                       444990  IN      NS      C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>>> ;; Received 388 bytes from 10.1.0.54#53(10.1.0.54) in 1 ms
>>>
>>> info.                   172800  IN      NS      TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
>>> info.                   172800  IN      NS      TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.
>>> info.                   172800  IN      NS      TLD3.ULTRADNS.ORG.
>>> info.                   172800  IN      NS      TLD4.ULTRADNS.ORG.
>>> info.                   172800  IN      NS      TLD5.ULTRADNS.info.
>>> info.                   172800  IN      NS      TLD6.ULTRADNS.CO.UK.
>>> ;; Received 288 bytes from 128.8.10.90#53(D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 106 ms
>>>
>>> dwsmedia.info.          86400   IN      NS      brilliance.anonns.com.
>>> dwsmedia.info.          86400   IN      NS      advanced.anonns.com.
>>> ;; Received 89 bytes from 204.74.112.1#53(TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET) in 66 ms
>>>
>>> dig: couldn't get address for 'brilliance.anonns.com': not found
>>>
>>> The problem here is that the DNS for the domain "anonns.com" that your
>>> nameservers are in is broken. The name "brilliance.anonns.com" is not
>>> resolvable, and this will cause problems for any domain using these
>>> nameservers.
>>>
>>> Since you say you are "trying to bind it to advanced.anonns.com", it
>>> seems that you may be aware of this problem and are trying to work
>>> around it. To do this you would need to remove "brilliance.anonns.com"
>>> as one of the listed nameservers for your domain at your domain
>>> registry. However, that would leave you with only one delegated
>>> nameserver, which is not a great idea anyway from a reliability point of
>>> view, and that nameserver is in the domain anonns.com, which has its own
>>> DNS problems (brilliance.anonns.com is also a listed nameserver for the
>>> anonns.com domain). I would suggest instead that you moved your DNS
>>> hosting elsewhere, perhaps even hosting it yourself if you have a
>>> suitable machine with a reliable 24/7 connection, and then using an
>>> external service for secondary DNS.
>>

>> Both machines are running 24/7 hosted in a data centre. They are meant to
>> be PDNS and SDNS for all the domains we are hosting. You said that domain
>> anonns.com has its own problem. Can you tell me what problem? And if that
>> problem is solved, i presume PDNS advanced.anonns.com will be able to
>> resolve any domains which is binded to it. For the domain dwsmedia.info,
>> at the registrar end, I had set advanced.anonns.com as the Pri DNS and
>> brilliance.anonns.com as the Sec DNS. Should dwsmedia.info be pointed to
>> advanced.anonns.com instead?
>
> The problem lies with the anonns.com domain; there is nothing wrong with
> the dwsmedia.info domain itself.
>
> The DNS zone for anonns.com as served by advanced.anonns.com
> [203.208.228.152] does not contain an entry for brilliance.anonns.com, so
> the name brilliance.anonns.com does not resolve. This needs to be fixed,
> and when it is, everything else *should* spring into life.
>
> At the moment though it seems that the DNS server at 203.208.228.152 is
> down as well, so *nothing* is working.

Weird. I have the zone entry for anonns.com binding to advanced.anonns.com
as follows:-

;Begin of file anonns.com
$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     advanced.anonns.com. postmaster.anonns.com. (
                        2005040301
                        3600
                        7200
                        864000
                        86400 )

                                IN      NS          advanced.anonns.com.
                                IN      NS          brilliance.anonns.com.

                                IN      MX     5    advanced.anonns.com.

                                 IN      A           203.208.228.152
ftp                             IN      A           203.208.228.152
mail                           IN      A           203.208.228.152
pop                           IN      A           203.208.228.152
www                         IN      CNAME       anonns.com.
advanced                   IN      A           203.208.228.152
brilliance                    IN      A           203.208.228.153

I am getting petty confused.