bind problem

List list at nchost.net
Thu Apr 7 12:23:50 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Howarth" <paul at city-fan.org>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: bind problem

> List wrote:
>> Weird. I have the zone entry for anonns.com binding to
>> advanced.anonns.com as follows:-
>>
>> ;Begin of file anonns.com
>> $TTL 86400
>> @       IN      SOA     advanced.anonns.com. postmaster.anonns.com. (
>>                        2005040301
>>                        3600
>>                        7200
>>                        864000
>>                        86400 )
>>
>>                                IN      NS          advanced.anonns.com.
>>                                IN      NS          brilliance.anonns.com.
>>
>>                                IN      MX     5    advanced.anonns.com.
>>
>>                                 IN      A           203.208.228.152
>> ftp                             IN      A           203.208.228.152
>> mail                           IN      A           203.208.228.152
>> pop                           IN      A           203.208.228.152
>> www                         IN      CNAME       anonns.com.
>> advanced                   IN      A           203.208.228.152
>> brilliance                    IN      A           203.208.228.153
>>
>> I am getting petty confused.
>
> It's difficult to diagnose the problems from here (both my work and home
> machines, on completely separate networks) because I'm getting a lot of
> DNS query timeouts from your servers (brilliance.anonns.com seems to be
> more reliable at the moment). It may be that it's a network connectivity
> issue that's underlying your problems. Is it possible for you to get an
> additional DNS server on a separate network to act as an additional
> secondary for your domains? Both of your current DNS servers are currently
> on the same network, which doesn't help reliability.
>
> The file above looks OK, though I'd be tempted to add a line:
> $ORIGIN anonns.com.
> at the top.

The timeout might be due to the cable in APNC-2.

Quoted Channel Asia News "Some Internet users in Singapore and other parts
of Asia may experience some delay when assessing websites hosted outside of
Singapore today. This is due to a cable failure in the Asia Pacific Cable
Network-2 (APCN-2) reported this morning."

At the present, I do not have a 3rd machine which is on a seperate network.
I had added $ORIGIN anonns.com to the file and restarted named. I will
layoff for a while. Packing my stuff leaving town for a couple of weeks.
Will touch down and get hold of a computer with an internet access in 8 hrs
time and check back. By that time, i hope all the caching DNS renew their
information.

Thanks alot