Network trafic monitoring and tuning

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Apr 7 12:34:07 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 07.04.2005 schrieb Julien Le Houérou um 14:08:

> Hi, are there some utilies under FC3 that can permit to easily monitor
> in/out internet trafic, and tune it (for example restriction ouf
> outgoing bandwidth, ...) ?
>
> I already know ethereal, nessus, tcpdump etc but i'd likte to have a
> very simple guy, at least to do the monitoring...

For monitoring you could use tools like MRTG, Cacti, iptraf (maybe with
an RRDtool script for HTML output). Traffic shaping isn't that easy and
a "simple guy" wouldn't be able to do that. Please google for the
"Advanced Routing Howto".

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp
Serendipity 14:31:35 up 8 days, 11:58, load average: 0.26, 0.41, 0.48