scsi hotplug in FC3

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:43:49 UTC 2005

System:
FC3 + latest updates (including kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3smp)
on a dual Opteron box with on-board Adaptec SCSI.

Question:
Should the hotplug system be able to support SCSI hotplugging?

Hotplugging is working OK for USB devices (memstick and disk)
but I dont see any entries appearing in /var/log/messages
when I hotplug a SCSI drive, and no additions are made to
/dev. Do I have to enable anything extra to get SCSI hotplug
to work?
The boot-drive is SCSI. Is this likely to cause problems?

Supplementary:
How many SCSI drives should the SCSI system on 2.6.10 kernel
be able to support? 'man sd' indicates that the SCSI drive-naming
scheme offers sd[a-h] (max 8 drives) but surely this is not
the limit?

Thanks,
Terry