bind problem

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Apr 7 13:58:33 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Both nameservers in the same subnet? Is it just the German DENIC which
> demands that the second NS has to be located in a different net or is
> that a global requirement? At least it is highly recommended.

Most registrars do not care.  I even saw some that require you to
provide two IP addresses on the web form, but you could simply type same
IP address twice.  After all, if all your name server(s) become
unreachable, it is going to hurt only you.  Once I saw an organization
that had two DNS servers on separate networks.  But the servers were
located in the same rack, connected to the same UPS that was barely big
enough to power them up for about a minute in case of power failure.
Most registrars realize that people will do stupid things like that if
they start really forcing policies, so they simply don't bother.