[FC3] Cannot get xmodmap to run properly on startup

VB vboyt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 20:08:13 UTC 2005

How can I get xmodmap to run a key remapping file on
startup???

I've created a .Xmodmap file in my home directory and
it appears to run but when I finally get X all up the
key remapping is not there.  I'm sure it's running
because I've put an echo statement in xinitrc-common
where xmodmap is run on a .Xmodmap file in user's home
dir and the echo is printed.  The .Xmodmap file is
correct as I can run "xmodmap <my home dir>/.Xmodmap"
manually and it works.  I have also modified xorg.conf
to disable xkb.

I've also added an "xmodmap <my home dir>/.Xmodmap"
line in various places like xinitrc and rc.sysinit but
NOTHING WORKS!!

Any suggestions??