creating filesystem on huge disks

Viktor Hornak hornak at csb.sunysb.edu
Thu Apr 7 20:18:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could advice on how to create an (ext3)
filesystem on a huge disk (by current measures). The disk is actually a
hardware RAID, so it presents itself as /dev/sdb and is about 1.4TB big.
I created one big partition (/dev/sdb1) with fdisk and was trying to
create an ext3 filesystem afterwards (simply running mkfs.ext3
/dev/sdb1). The problem is that after a while, the "Writing inode
tables: ..." slowed down to a crawl and now it's about 0.8% (!) through
with inode creation and has been running for about 4 hours. It looks
like this is not the way to go. Is ext3 not scaling well for such big
partitions? Should I use a different filesystem? Or should I specify
some switches for mkfs.ext3? Also, maybe this is not how one should go
about it - maybe I need to create several partitions and merge them
somehow (LVM?). This is actually happening on RHEL3 but I guess I'd come
across the same problem on FC3.
Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
-Viktor