Help Needed configuring Samba on Webserver

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Fri Apr 8 17:10:46 UTC 2005

Earlier this week, I posted a message asking for help with a number of
problems / Projects using Fedora Core 2 or 3 within our network.  The
this list, so here is the first one that I am having problems with

Our webserver is a Pentium 4 2Ghz server running fully up to date FC2
with Apache and Samba installed.

Our domain is a windows 2003 Domain using active directory.  What I want
to be able to do is to have each student have their own directory on the
web server that they can post their web design projects into, and then
we have apache to use ~username addressing for their sites.

As it stands right now, I use the following procedure to make this work,
which is not a problem for a class of 5 students, but for a large class
it turns into a large amount of work

Procedure to setup student for samba access

1 Create the user directory on the webserver
2. Create the linux user - system/users and groups
3. Create a public_html directory under their home directory
4. chmod home directory 755
5. chmod public_html directory 755
6. chown home directory -R to user
7. chgrp home directory to apache
8. create samba user -- system-config-samba
9. input windows password into samba as samba password

everything should then work

This procedure works.  It takes 3 - 5 minutes per itineration, which
gets tedious at best.  The problem comes in the fact that next year we
want to implement a similar system for storing all of our user files on
our samba file server, and creating 250 accounts like this is just out
of the question.

I realize that I am a new linux administrator, and that my understanding
of Linux and Samba are fairly limited, but it seems that there must be
an easier way of accomplishing this.  The point that especially wrankles
me is having to ask the user for their password, and then manually enter
it into samba to get it to recognize the password, it should be able to
authenticate against the active directory and work that way.

I could really use some help here -- I have a class of almost 20
students who will be starting web design projects on Wednesday of next
week, so I would very much like to get this working before then, cuz
otherwise Tuesday night is going to be a real pain creating all those
users

TIM

I can be reached on list, off list at tholmes at mcaschool.net, on Yahoo IM
at W8TAH, and on AOL IM at W8TAHHAM