RHEL and FC Kernels

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 9 04:22:14 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:32:15PM +0100, Andy Hudson wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > This may sound a bit naive, but what are the fundamental differences
>  > between an EL kernel and a fc3 kernel?
>  >
>  > I'm expecting someone to say either RTFM or that EL kernels have
>  > specific patches applied to make them more stable than fc3, say.
<snip>

> Feature-wise, both streams have more-or-less the same added-Red Hat
> patches (Exec-shield etc).  RHEL has a 4g4g -hugemem kernel, but
> that's about the only difference.
>
> To give you something of an idea how much things diverge, here's
> the current number of patches included against various trees
> including some historic trees..
>
> RHL9:     174
> Fedora Core 1:     107
> Fedora Core 2:      80
> Fedora Core 3:      69
> Rawhide:      61
> RHEL4:     400
>
> Note that as we get newer releases of Fedora, the patchcount
> goes down.

OK, a couple of things don't make sense.

If "both streams have more-or-less the same added-Red Hat
patches," why are there over five times as many patches in RHEL 4 than
in FC3?  Also, is there an explanation for why the patch count keeps
going down as newer versions of Fedora Core are released?

Thanks,
William