What is the official/semi-official positon of Fedora on KDE?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 19:29:08 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:

> Leaf wrote:
>
>> My mistake, you did mention FC4 and I missed it.  Keep in mind also
>> that the versions I received were from the kde-redhat repo, I am not
>> sure if that is what is one FC4.  Also FC4 itself is likely your
>> issue, the release that is.  Did you list these issues as bugs?
>

> My simple question is, has someone figured out the improvements in the
> new KDE vs. the current version. This thread is not about FC4 - I
> mentioned it in passing to refer to how I'd happenned to experiment
> with the new KDE. Many are running the new KDE under FC3, and are
> praising it greatly. I'm just curious what it is they like about it.

I can't really speak to the differences between KDE 3.3 and 3.4, Claude,
but the mention in this thread of installing 3.4 from kde-redhat repo
could be significant.  Official Fedora kde packages are apparently
tweaked/customized somewhat relative to those released directly by
KDE.org.  Menu contents are one way in which they can differ as some KDE
apps may not be included in FC.  Another way in which the packages
differ is desktop appearance.  The default FC kde desktop background
color and panel icons differ from the defaults as issued by KDE.
Desktop icons can also differ.  Icons for removable media drives  are
not placed on the desktop in FC as compared with KDE.org desktops.

To explore differences in KDE setup between FC and another distribution,
you could download and burn the SimplyMEPIS  LiveCD distribution.  MEPIS
runs KDE 3.4 on top of a Debian release.

FWIW