Whoops. Erased taskbar

Sam Williams sam at mbz.org
Sun Apr 10 05:20:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 18:45 -0400, jludwig wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2005 05:00 pm, Richard E Miles wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:46:34 +0300
> >
> > Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, I did this a few weeks ago. I couldn't get it back for the life
> > > of me. This advice from Thomas Cameron helped:
> > >
> > > quote
> > >
> > > The "chainsaw" method is to boot the machine to runlevel 3 (i.e. No GNOME
> > > stuff running), and in your home directory run the commands:
> > >
> > > mkdir backup
> > > mv .g* backup
> > >
> > > This will move all your GNOME settings (essentially deleting them) and
> > > they will be reset to defaults next time you start X.
> > >
> > > /quote
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > Another method to add a panel is to right click on the bottom panel and
> > choose add panel.
> >
> > --
> > Richard E Miles
> > Federal Way WA. USA
> > registered linux user 46097
>
> A better way since you will not loose personel preferances S.A. backrounds and
> links.
>
> --
> John H Ludwig

Thanks Dotan, Richard and John.

The move to bkup directory didn't work--maybe because I restarted before
trying that.  Creating new panel by right-clicking lower panel let me
re-create new panel.

For future, though, anyone know location and filename containing default
panels?, user panel?  I created a new user and it came with top panel.
I looked but couldn't figure out how where the info for that is stored.

Thanks,

Sam