How to build latest n greatest Apache,PHP, OpenSSL rpms?

Loki Choggio bubudiu2005 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 16:06:51 UTC 2005

How to build latest n greatest Apache,PHP, OpenSSL
rpms?
Hi guys. The problem with Fedora/RedHat is their
insistence on using e.g Apache 2.0.46 or
openssl-0.9.7a-40.i386.rpm and then having everything
down that tree ie openssla.41 etc How do i go about
building my own rpm from the Apache 2.0.53 src from
httpd.apache.org? I know i would need a spec file but
can't proceed yet.

For example while Apache 2.0.53 was released Fedora
didn't bother updating so the present 2.0.52 is
theoretically exploitable. For example php 4.3.11 came
out on March 31st but no updates are around the corner
Fedorawise. We know what happened with the holes in
php 4.3.9 and the exploits in existence.

I know someone will suggest using the development tree
packages but on FC3 they will break your system due to
the well known "dependency hell" problem as they beed
upgated glibc libcdst++ etc