HP 5370C Scanner How to config?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at att.net
Sun Apr 10 18:05:07 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:
>>

> Looks like I've been barking up the wrong tree. It seems that USB
> scanner support doesn't use udev at all.
>
> According to http://www.exactcode.de/oss/avision/index.html the
> "avision" backend should provide at least limited functionality for
> your scanner. See "man sane-avision" for details (you'll need to have
> the sane-backends package installed).
>
> P.S. Please don't post HTML to this mailing list.
>
> Paul.

I am using Thunderbird 1.0.2 and it is set to send plain text
to domain redhat.com, should never send html? It usually asks
me to ok sending html. However I have recently been afflicted
with a severe vision problem and may have hit the wrong button.
That's the reason for the scanner, I need to enlarge printed
pages to read text!

I found the following data in /var/log/dmesg, still can't get xsane
to recognize the scanner, no device?

I tried creating /dev/sg0 and making an entry in fstab but to no avail
there ...

USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 0000:00:07.2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: irq 9, io base 0x10c0
uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-2: 05-wait_for_sys timed out on ep0in
SCSI subsystem initialized
scsi0 : hpusbscsi
hpusbscsi->state = FREE at line 231
hpusbscsi->state = BEGINNING at line 237
hpusbscsi->state = BEGINNING at line 470
hpusbscsi->state = WORKING at line 473
Data transfer done
hpusbscsi->state = WORKING at line 427
Getting status byte 0
hpusbscsi->state = WAIT at line 335
hpusbscsi->state = FREE at line 339
hpusbscsi->state = FREE at line 231
hpusbscsi->state = BEGINNING at line 237
hpusbscsi->state = BEGINNING at line 470
hpusbscsi->state = WORKING at line 473
Data transfer done
hpusbscsi->state = WORKING at line 427
Getting status byte 0
hpusbscsi->state = WAIT at line 335
hpusbscsi->state = FREE at line 339
  Vendor: HP        Model: ScanJet 5370C     Rev: 6.00
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
usbcore: registered new driver hpusbscsi
usb 1-2: 05-wait_for_sys timed out on ep0in

Bob Goodwin