proxy problems?

Fabiano Petrone fabiano.petrone at bib.uniud.it
Mon Apr 11 07:33:46 UTC 2005

hello to Everybody!
I've configured a FC3 (192.168.0.50 on a local LAN) to exit to internet
through a proxy machine (192.168.0.20)
I've properly configured:

1)Firefox network options
2) the freshclam (clamav) and nessus conf files
3) redhat network configuration
4) preferences -> network proxy

now Firefox, Freshclam and the Nessus-New-Plugins-Retrieval goes really OK,
but:

1) I can't still ping external sites (I.E. www.google.it) but only internal
LAN machines (I.E. 192.168.0.20)
2) I can't run up2date: at the console I obtain the following error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib2.py", line 886, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>

I've found something similar to this error at:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla...g.cgi?id=127621

maybe (surely...) some my configuration error?

thanks in advance for your help,

Fabianope