Commanding rc.local not to run at boot..possible.?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 11 15:21:53 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 22:00 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>
>>Mark Sargent wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>have a script in rc.local that hangs the machine at boot(I was seeing
>>>if the system here at home would do the same as my work PC, which it
>>>did, unfortunately). How can I instruct the boot process not to
>>>process rc.local. Is it possible from the command line to do this, and
>>>could you tell me what the command would be.? Knoppix3.7 doesn't
>>>recognize LVM, so I can't mount the partition and make a change to
>>>rc.local and booting with telinit 3 still gets the hang. Cheers.
>>>
>>>Mark Sargent.
>>>

>>I just went through this, and reading through the posts, I'm surprised
>>no one mentioned this:
>>Right after the kernel is unpacked in the beginning of boot, you get a
>>dialogue telling you to press 'I' for interactive mode. Do that, and
>>each command in the bootup gives you a Y/N dialogue. rc.local should be
>>the very last command, and it will say something like 'start local? Y|N'
>>pressing N will bypass rc.local.
>>

> Claude,
>
> Have you tried that and made it work?   8-)
>
> This is what I see in rc.sysinit (which gives that message).
> -------------------------------------
> if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
>  echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
>  echo
> fi
> -------------------------------------
>
> I don't find anything in the script to ever even read the input, let
> alone assign the input to a variable or use it.
>
> If you can tell me where it is ever assigned/used in the script I would
> appreciate it.  Maybe I can learn something about scripting. :-)

The snippet above is what produces the prompt to press the "I" key. The
key isn't read until *much* later. Search for "getkey" in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. If the "I" key is detected as having been pressed
at the appropriate time, the file /var/run/confirm is created, and the
presence or absence of this file is used by /etc/rc.d/rc to determine
whether or not it should prompt for whether each individual initscript
should be run.

Paul.