trouble booting system with I2O hardware RAID

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Apr 11 16:23:16 UTC 2005

This problem is from CentOS 4 (an RHEL 4 clone).  I'm sending this email
to Fedora mailing list too, since I found references for exactly the
same problem on Fedora Core 3, and am hoping that somebody might have a
solution (plus it might save some grief to some Fedora user who runs
into same problem in the future, so I see potential benefit of
discussing the problem on Fedora mailing list too).  In all probability,
if I attempted to install Fedora Core onto that machine, I would run
into the exact same problem.

Basically, install process seems to go fine, however the machine doesn't
wan't to boot after it.

The system in question has one of I2O Adaptec RAID controllers.  I've
configured LVM with one volume group and several volumes.  If I boot
into the rescue mode, all looks fine and dandy.  Anaconda finds the
installation, and I can access all volumes.

However, when doing "real" boot, it gets into trouble.  All required
modules are loaded from initrd image (as far as I can tell).  The I2O
modules are able to locate the RAID devices (I see all partitions
reported: /dev/i2o/hda1 (empty, unused), /dev/i2o/hdb1 (/boot), and
/dev/i2o/hdb2 (rest of the system under LVM).  The only thing different
from rescue mode is that i2o/hda and i2o/hdb are reversed (this is
strange, but it shouldn't affect things since /boot partition has a
label "/boot", and all the rest is under LVM, so everything should be
device name independent).  I have no idea why i2o device drivers are
detecting volumes in different order when loaded from initrd image
during boot, and by Anaconda during installation.

The last couple of messages printed on the screen are:

Creating root device
Mounting root file system
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
WARNING: can't access (null)
exec of init ((null)) failed!!!: 14
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

Looking at the "init" script from initrd image, this correspond to:

echo Mounting root filesystem
mount -o defaults --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
mount -t tmpfs --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
echo Switching to new root
switchroot /sysroot
umount /initrd/dev

Which would indicate that mount of root file system went OK, but then it
failed to mount /dev filesystem (basically, move already mounted /dev to
/sysroot/dev).  After the switchroot /sysroot, old /dev mount point
become invalid (non-accessible), the new /dev mount point was not there
and of course everything broke from that point on.

I've Googled around a bit, and the only relevant thing Google gave me
was this French page.  There were couple of more pages (some from
archives of Fedora/RH mailing lists) with similar but different problem
(modules failing to load and/or detect disk drives, which is not the
case here, all modules were loaded correctly as witnessed by successfull
LVM initialization and successfull root file system mount).

http://www.fedora-france.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3838&forum=6&post_id=20970

I do live in Canada, but don't speak a word of French (shame on me, but
in my defense it is on my todo list).  However I did managed to figure
out somebody suggested going with Grub instead of LILO.  IMO, Grub or
LILO shouldn't make any difference, since the error is happening way
after boot loader did its job.  Anyhow, just for fun, I reinstalled the
system from scratch, this time choosing Grub as boot loader of choice to
be installed into MBR.  However, for whatever reason, Anaconda did not
install Grub (dd & less showed no signs of Grub in MBR).  Boot into the
rescue, chroot, grub-install, OK now I have Grub in MBR.  But again, no
joy.  Grub doesn't even start and system simply hangs in mid-air.  No
errors printed, no anything.

Currently, I'm kind of stuck and idea-less.  The system did worked
perfectly in the past with Red Hat 7.3 (and LILO as boot loader), and
exactly the same hardware RAID configuration (two volumes, one for
system, one for data).  Any help, hint, etc would be greatly appriciated.