CD hiss: how get rid of?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 11 20:32:56 UTC 2005

Douglas Frank wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Much as I hate to admit it, music CD's sound a lot better on the Windows
> box than on my FC3 workstation using kscd.  The problem is a high-
> frequency hiss that I can't control.  Does anyone know the trick of
> dolbying the hiss into silence?  (Of course I could just turn the sound
> up, or limit myself to ZZ Top...)

As this is on a different box, it could be hardware related.  It could
be as simple as a poorer sound card.

Read an article last week about having the sound card next to the
Graphics Card and picking up noise.  As others have said, look at the
settings on the mixer.

My wife complained about hiss on our workstation and it turned out
that the mixer was turned down and the volume on the speakers was
cranked up.  Increased the mixer settings and lowered the speaker
volume, noise gone.

--
Robin Laing