John L. Pierce bjjp at kvnet.org
Tue Apr 12 03:36:25 UTC 2005

A question for the more informed of us.

Concerning the loading of the bttv module, is there anything in the udev
permissions or rules that would prevent the module from loading at boot?

My modprobe.conf file looks exactly like ever other modprobe.conf file I
have seen on the internet.

<<
alias char-major-81 bttv

>From every thing I have read on the internet and discussions groups, the
above line should be the only thing necessary to load the module at
boot!

Is that correct?  If so, since the module loads fine in manual
modprobe bttv, could it possibly be udev and hotplug causing the
problem.

Maybe /dev is not being created early enough to allow the creation
of /dev/video0.

Thanks in advance!

John