Sendmail- Is this correct.?

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Tue Apr 12 04:30:45 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Mark Sargent wrote:

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> thanx Paul. Paul, is there a way to confirm that the sendmail.cf is
>>> now sending via smtp.feel.to as the test mail is still not
>>> arriving..? Cheers.
>>>
>>> Mark Sargent.
>>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> ok, I checked /var/log/maillog and found this,
>>
>> Apr 11 16:51:06 localhost sendmail[7896]: j3B7p5JJ007893:
>> to=<powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp>,
>> ctladdr=<coolboarderguy at localhost.localdomain> (500/500),
>> delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=120395,
>> relay=sv.feel.to. [211.10.15.172], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (j3B7oLl09915
>> Message accepted for delivery)
>>
>> That looks like success from my end, yes..? But, it's not reaching my
>> inbox for the address I'm mailing to. Anything I should be double
>> checking with this..? Cheers.
>

> Your mail server is sending out mail with a bogus from: address of
> coolboarderguy at localhost.localdomain. No sensible mail server will
> accept mail from unresolvable domains like that. You need to use a
> real domain name. Look up masquerading in /usr/share.sendmail-cf/README
>
> Paul.

Hi All,

Paul, I have read this section at the tutorial site,

You can have your host masquerade as another by using this macro:

        MASQUERADE_AS(`host.domain')

Masquerading is a very important part of a client/server mail hub
configuration. Any machine configured like this will rewrite the SMTP
From: header of all outbound mail to look like the message came from the
address you're masquerading as. This address /must/ be an address record
in DNS, not simply a CNAME, or the remote end will canonicalize the
address back to the original name.

and was wondering, as it's a requirement to have the address in a DNS
record, does this have to be a registered domain name, as we don't have
1. If no, then I can just masquerade as anyone(not that I really want
to)..? Our router is our DNS, so we would have to add this record to it,
yes..? Sorry for the mundane questions. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.