Upgrade vs Reinstall

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Tue Apr 12 16:55:53 UTC 2005

Sean O Sullivan wrote:

> Rick Lim wrote:

>>> I did similar upgrade from FC2 => 3, on various servers, it was a
>>> case of inserting FC3 cd, booting off cd, and then when anaconda
>>> loads >gives you choice to upgrade.
>>> It took about 1-1.5 hours to do it, and afterwards all worked
>>> without problems, there is small issue with apache I believe, but
>>> once you update via your package manager it should be resolved.
>>

>> On another system I did a FC2 -> FC3 via CD and that was 100%
>> successful.
>

> In regards to upgrading ... usually the CD upgrade is best way & you
> will usually have to do a 'X' update afterwards which will probably
> fix things (as you have PACKAGE_NAME_FC2 and must be updated to
> PACKAGE_NAME_FC3, so that can produce some oddities, as sometimes the
> package for FC2 is higher version than FC3's, so matter of waiting).

    I've upgraded from RH9->FC1->FC2->FC3 from the CDs.  The only
problem I've had each time is getting APT / SYNAPTIC upgraded to the new
repositories.  When I initially bring up synaptic, it complains of
multiple duplicate packages, and it takes a few cycles to get everything
cleaned up.  Also, I find that while I can download the necessary RPMs
to update apt itself to the new release, they can't be installed from
apt (bootstrap problems?) so I then have to go into the apt cache folder
and install the apt RPMs manually.  I've never tried upgrading using
apt-get, but maybe I'll try that out when FC4 is released.  Problem is
while that should upgrade existing packages I'm not sure what it'll do
with any new packages that are in the new release.  At least if I have
the CDs I have a base-level that I can work from.
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn