When exactly does yum do it's job?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:56:38 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 1:31 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at iesabroad.org> wrote:
> > I did a `yum check-update` this morning when I woke, i saw
> > several packages available for update although I have the yum
> > service turned on, and my pc had been on all night. I went to
> > work and then cable back for lunch, same packages are
> > available. When exaclt does the yum 'nightly'
> > service do it's thing?
>
> Yum runs with cron.daily.  /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron is the actual script
> that runs.  Mine runs at night at 4:00 a.m. (if I had it enabled anyway)

It is also possible that the repository(ies) that your system
connected to at the time of the update attempt may not have had these
updates yet. Some of them are very quick to retrieve the updates, and
others can be hours (or more) behind.

It is also possible that the updates you saw this morning may have not
made it into the distribution stream until after your nightly update,
although I don't think that is as likely, as they seem to do that
during the work day.

There have been times when I have gotten notices about updates being
released, and I would go run 'yum update' and see nothing. Then I run
it again and all of a sudden it's there. It depends on which mirror
you are asking and when they got their updates online.

If you are really paranoid about it, you could always modify the
service, so that if it runs the update and finds nothing, you could
have it run it again as a second check. If it finds nothing again, it
might be a safer bet that nothing needs to be updated.

Just a thought.

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)