Gcc4 (now in updates) Questions

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Apr 12 22:06:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:52:22PM -0400, David Cary Hart wrote:
> Now that gcc4 is in updates (and I am a C nitwit):
>         GCC 3.4 was updated but remains on the system, correct?

Right; that was an update from 3.4.2 to 3.4.3.

>         Do I now have to make a GCC choice when building a package or
>         compiling an RPM?

Yes; gcc4 is installed as, surprisingly enough, gcc4, so you can just use
that instead of gcc.

>         Can I assume that some things will compile with gcc4 and some
>         won't?

Probably.

>         If that's correct, can I further assume that, what will compile
>         with gcc4, should be compiled with gcc4?

Depends on how brave you are and or how reliable you need to be. Code might
compile apparently fine but be created slightly wrong, or the new compiler
may expose bugs in the code you're building that just happened to work
before. (This happened a lot with going from gcc 2.x to 3.)