Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:31:20 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, Neal Wilkinson <forums.lists at comcast.net> wrote:
> Brian Gaynor wrote:
>
> >I have the latest nVidia driver (7174) working fine with
> >2.6.11-1.14_FC3smp, video is a GeForce FX 5200Go. Installed using the
> >stock nvidia-installer.
> >

> I tried it a good bit yesterday. It said that it wasn't compatible with
> the kernel but was building a module. Then it said to modify the

You'll never find a pre-built kernel module.  There is no way nVidia
can support all kernel versions out there.  Building the module should
work just fine with the newest (7174) drivers.  Also, you should only
have to modify the xorg.conf once if you don't change it.

> xorg.conf which I did. Fails on boot, saying it can't find the .ko but
> it is there, although it is in a different location that with the
> previous kernel. I can boot 770 with the xorg.conf I created and the
> driver works fine so that isn't the issue. Did you get any errors or did
> your install go fine?

This seems to indicate that you didn't install it for the new kernel.
Unless you use some of the advanced options, installing for the new
kernel should have uninstalled it for the old kernel.  You have a
couple of options:

1. Boot the old kernel and install the nVidia drivers with the -k
option to install for the new kernel.  You can also install just the
kernel module by using the -K option.  Use the -s option and it won't
bring up the UI or ask you any questions.
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run -k 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 -K -s

2. Boot the new kernel to run-level 3 and install the nVidia drivers.

This should work.  If it does not, please send us details about what
didn't work.  Saying that the module is there but in a different
location is rather vague.  Where exactly is it?  What errors (exactly)
are you getting if any?

Jonathan