Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:52:52 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, Neal Wilkinson <forums.lists at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ok...here we go.
> I have version NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run installed and running
> in the 770 kernel. I've tried to install
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run in 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 and the following
> happens.
>
> I end the session and go to a console login.
> login as root
> cd /home/neal (where the file is)
> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run
> message that the same version is installed, would I like to remove it
> and install again. I answer yes.
> then says it must download a kernel interface and says no matching one
> was found
> then it builds the kernel module and says its done
> then it uninstalls the driver and re-installs it
> then says its done please go update xorg.conf etc. if needed
> then when I reboot I get an error when it should load the driver which
> says nvidia.ko not found and it loads a generic driver.
>
> Does this help? Thanks!
>
> Neal

Hi Neal,
Okay, how about this.  Instead of rebooting in the last step, run
init 5
This should get you back into graphical mode.  This assumes that you
did an "init 3" to get out of graphical mode.  Or if you use startx,
then just run that.  Whenever I have updated the nVidia driver, I just
do this, there is no reason to reboot.  So perhaps it does something
when the module is first loaded (like rectify the udev stuff).  If
this doesn't help, please let us know.  Perhaps you should send us
your xorg.conf as well (though if it is working for the old version,
it should work for the new).

Jonathan