dammit, let go, xmms!

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:26:56 UTC 2005

I have had the eject problem sometimes, too. It is related to the
"device busy" problem I described in another thread. Maybe you will
find the solution there?

xine is definitely great, and especially for playing mpg videos,
especially because of it's support for recordings made with various
and sundry codecs. I liked xmms best for playing music, because of the
reliable support for the standard music format, mp3, and the
playlists; xine has playlists, but does not support randon play. Since
getting kde-redhat, however, I have switched over to amaroK. It has a
lot of functionality and is much more convenient for editing the id3
tages, and it looks super.

Also, like xmms, xine & mplayer, amaroK responds to the remote control
with irkick/lirc... just like a real stereo system.

If you switch to amaroK, make sure to save your collection database
(~/.kde/amarok), because any editing of file names, artists, genres,
etc is stored there.

On 4/13/05, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com