Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Wed Apr 13 22:02:36 UTC 2005

Neal Wilkinson wrote:

> [...]

SNIP

> Ok...I'm sure this won't make sense but its working now. Here is what I
> did.
> It wasn't finding the nvidia.ko the only different in this one and the
> 770 kernel was the inside of /video/ there was a seperate /nvidia/
> directory with the ko inside it. I made one and moved the ko file there.
> Then restarted and the machine hung at the point the driver was to load.
> I rebooted and I came up to a console login. I removed the driver and
> then installed it there and now all is well. I really hate something
> being fixed and not knowing why. Anyway, I'm glad its working. Thanks
> for the help.

Neal,

A possibly dumb question, but as they say the only stupid question is
the one that goes unasked.

When you tried to install the 7174 driver as above the first time "for
the 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 kernel", had you actually booted that kernel, or
were you still running the 770 kernel?

This sounds like you were still running the 770 kernel and trying to
install the nVidia driver for the other kernel. That won't work.

You need to be running the kernel that you want to install the driver
for at the time. This is why you won't be able to use the nVidia driver
if you boot a new or different kernel relative to the last time you used
the nVidia installer.

The one inconsistency here is that usually when this situation occurs, X
won't run at all and you are left at a text console login prompt after
some initial error messages and prompts about wanting to diagnose X
problems and logs, etc.

I don't know if the Livna RPMS overcome this problem, but that may be a
possibility. Someone else here may know.

BTW, for the latest kernel, the nvidia.ko file is in:

/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

Marc