FC3 mediacheck

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Apr 14 01:58:25 UTC 2005

. . . Lots of stuff removed about failing mediacheck with FC3 CD's.

>  If the drive operates normally, why do we
> need nodma
> >>in order to check only disk2 and disk3 of the CD set?

. . . lots more stuff removed

> It is likely that only your CD drive's DMA fails, so you may wanna
> consider enabling the harddrive's DMA later, for efficiency.

The original question remains, though.  Why do we need nodma to check the
integrity of only two CD's out of the CD set, when every other CD ever used
on the system is readable with DMA on?  Maybe the real question is , "What's
the specific failure mode going on here?"

Erik