autoloading sg driver during boot

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Apr 14 13:49:16 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Isn't the module (and all other SCSI modules you need) included in the
> initial ramdisk image?

Nope.  Only scsi_mod, sd_mod and aic7xxx.  Even if I have entry for sg
module in modprobe.conf, it doesn't get included when doing mkinitrd.  I
can use "--with=sg" option to force mkinitrd to include sg module in
initrd image, but then I would need to remember rebuilding initrd image
by hand every time kernel is upgraded.  I'd probably remember to do it,
but somebody else not so much involved in configuring this system might
not (and backups would break, and the person who did the upgrade would
bitch about "broken" kernel instead of reading my documentation for the
machine).