cannot browse .asp pages

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Apr 14 15:25:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 09:00 -0600, Peter L. Hurd wrote:

> I'm trying to download NVIDIA's drivers, but the page
> www.nvidia.com/linux points to an active server page (ends with .asp).
> Both firefox and opera really want to open this page with a texteditor
> or wordprocessor.  I think this is supposed to be a file that is
> browseable, rather than supposed to be downloaded and edited.  How do I
> do this?

I have not experienced that problem, either at nvidia.com or with any
other ASP pages. There are several possibilities:

      * NVIDIA's server is suffering a temporary glitch and is sending
        out the pages with the wrong mime-type; or
      * you are behind some kind of proxy which is sending the pages on
        with the wrong mime-type; or
      * somewhere in your account you have set something up to be a
        helper application for *.asp files and that is overriding the
        content-type header in Firefox and Mozilla that the pages are
        being sent with.

Frankly the last one sounds unlikely to me, but I guess it might somehow
be possible. The first one doesn't seem to be the case because I just
opened http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp without problem
in Firefox. Which I guess leaves the middle one.

Best, Darren