FC2 boot/login problem (continued)

Paul Murtaugh murtaugh at stat.oregonstate.edu
Thu Apr 14 17:55:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:43:00AM -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:07 -0700, Paul Murtaugh wrote:
> > I turned off the rhgb option and can now see all of the
> > services starting up, without any problems.  I then briefly
> > see a text login prompt (which apparently isn't functional),
> > followed by a dark screen with hourglass, when normally I'd
> > get the graphical login screen.  My only option at this
> > point is to turn off the computer.
>
> Some details about the hardware might help get some resolution to the
> problem.
>
> In the mean time:  Try booting to runlevel 3, by appending a 3 to the
> end of the kernel command line in grub.  The start up process will stop
> at the text login.  Login as root and run startx, hopefully one of the
> many messages that appear may point to some error.  It might help to
> pipe the startx output to a file.

>From Aaron Konstam:

> Before trying startx I would use the system-config-display command to
> configure your xorg.conf file. What you describe is the classic
> "display not properly configured" symptom.

Logging in as root on level 3, I've tried the following things:

1. 'system-config-display --reconfig': 'Trying with ATI Mach 64' ... to
   a plain blue screen without any text ... back to text mode with the
   warning 'SESSION-MANAGER environment variable not defined'.  I can't
   for the life of me figure out how to define it.

2. 'startx' leads to a small blue 'FC2' rectangle in the center of a
   dark screen, but nothing more

3  'gnome-session' leads to 'cannot open display'

How do I get the gnome window manager to kick in?

This is an old ABIT BM6, CEL400 system with an IBM 10.10 GB IDE/UATA
hard disk and ATI XPERT@ PLAY 8MB AGP video card and I don't know
what else is relevant.

-Paul

Optional reading:  I'm trying, really.  I always flounder for a
few hours before writing to the list.  Would I be better off using
a commercial RH product instead of fedora?  It seems like I'm not
cut out for this!