Update Service

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Thu Apr 14 23:57:56 UTC 2005

Dave Mitchell wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:31:04PM -0700, Scott Becker wrote:
>

>>If yum is not the default, how do I set it up? If I'm already using yum
>>and 9kb/s is typical then I long for the days or old rhn where I can pay
>>$60/year to get an update service which can feed updates at 100kb/s.
>>

>IIRC, up2date out of the box doesn't try mirrors, so you just get the
>extremely slow RH servers.
>
>The easiest way to set up yum is to install the sample yum.conf
>mentioned in the FAQ:
>
>http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
>
>save as /etc/yum.conf, then run
>
>    # yum update
>
>you'll probably find it a lot faster.

It's using a different mirror on each attempt. I finally got it
completed. Now I'm trying to download a src rpm using 'up2date
--get-source postgresql' and I get either a file not found or an
apparent success but an empty file. I could probably get the file if I
can shut off the mirroring (assuming the mirrors don't bother to mirror
src-rpms) and go to the rh server.

my yum.conf contains:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

It looks like I can modify the files an /etc/yum.repos.d to make it use
rh instead of the mirrors. I'll try that and put it back later. Would
anybody else be interested in a paid update service? Is there a list of
people selling CDs? This should be on fedora.redhat.com for fedora to be
used more (and tested better).

    scottb