Shell Scropts

V P list307 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 02:06:38 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, JOHN H DURRANT <durrantj at msn.com> wrote:
>   I am running Fedora Core 3 and downloaded a .bin file from a site that I
> trust.  The instructions that came with the file say to double click on the
> file.  When I do this, Fedora tells me that it doesn't know what to do with
> a .bin file but that the contents look like a shell script.  I then let's be
> browse for the right command to use to open a shell script file.  What's the
> right answer?

Usually the .bin files are installers.  Eg. StarOffice is distributed
as .bin files. Open a terminal windows, su to root, change to the
files directory & run it (./<filename>.bin)

VJP

--
Novitiate of the Knife, under the Master of the Sabre of The Holy Llamadieans.
Official Protector of The Llama, Spiritual Leader of The Republic of Loungevania