Display all 2727 possibilities? (y or n)

Joel rees at ddcom.co.jp
Fri Apr 15 02:43:39 UTC 2005

I have one of those terminal switches so I can use one monitor and one
keyboard and work out of a Fedora Core 2 box and a MSWxxx box at the
same time. I just switched back to the FC2 box, and in the open shell
window was the following:

    [user at workstation user]$
    Display all 2727 possibilities? (y or n)
    [user at workstation user]$

Nothing more. The terminal session still seems to be responsive. Neither top
nor ps waux show anything I recognize as deviant or malignant.

A search of google for "2727 possibilities" turns up one blog and one
post to a forum where the blogger had apparently asked the question, but
no answer.

Anyone with any idea what's going on with this? Should I be pulling the
ethernet and starting in on forensics? (I do need a good excuse to scrub
and install FC3 anyway.)

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム