Numbers Ownership after tarring

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Fri Apr 15 03:54:51 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:20:18PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
>

>>ok, as a test.
>>[root at localhost snort]# tar --directory=/ --owner=root -xzvf
>>

>The --owner option is for *created* files -- you're extracting.
>
>To extract, try "--no-same-owner". But also, don't get in the habit of
>extracting tarballs as root unless keeping ownership and permissions is
>exactly what you intend to do.

Hi All,

yes, of course, but, it's handy to have the option. Example, when
downloading/installing phpmyadmin, I had to cp the tar.gz to
/var/www/html, cd into the html dir, extract, then rm the tar.gz. Much
faster to just tar with the options --directory= and --no-same-name and
then it's just a matter of cd'ing into the new directory..cheers.

Mark Sargent.