Using apt dist-upgrade

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 13:29:20 UTC 2005

> Hi Chris,
> Other than the obvious choice of a repository in the same country you live
> in, what is a bad choice of repositories??

For a start, take a look at

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

Under the section "Truths and lies about mixing repositories"

As this explains the DAG+compatible repositories (FreshRPMS, Dries, NewRPMS
and PlanetCCRMA) are not really compatible with the  fedora.us or livna.org
ones. If you try and mix them you are likely to get incompatibilities between
packages. If you stick with just one set,  such the DAG+others (I use these
and recommend them) they put some effort into making sure they work together
OK.

To be complete, I also use this one

http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

to keep KDE up to date, since its my favoured desktop and fedora isn't great
at keeping up to date in this area. I used this to ugrade from 3.3.x to 3.4
seamlessly a week or so ago.

cheers Chris