patching FC3 kernel

Birt, Jeffrey birtj at umr.edu
Fri Apr 15 19:36:39 UTC 2005

I'm trying to figure out how to patch a FC source kernel.

I've downloaded and installed the source rpms and now have a bunch of
.config files .patch files a linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2 etc.

The FC release notes say to do a rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch>kernel.spec
(where <arch> is the desired architecture).  I would assume this would
be something like i386, i586, i686?  (I know this is s silly question)
how do I know what to set this to?

This should create a kernel tree in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/ , I then copy
the correct .config file to this directotry (what's the -smp mean?)

Do I apply patches to this resulting kernel tree like:
 patch -p1 -d s3_late_bios_new.patch  ??  and then:
 make oldconfig
 make bzImage modules
 make modules_install install
??

I'm assuming that this process does not automatically update grub?

Thanks,

Jeff Birt
Electronics Engineer
Integrated Systems Facility