how to get new disk working

Ambrogio fn050202 at flashnet.it
Fri Apr 15 20:24:14 UTC 2005

Il ven, 2005-04-15 alle 21:49, Charles Li ha scritto:
> Hi,
> I have FC3 installed.  Recently I got another
> HardDrive and want to use it with the FC3 machine.  It
> a faster HD  than the one in the machine.  Is there a
> way to move some of the partitions over to this HD
> without reinstalling?  If not the os partition, maybe
> just the swap partition.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles Li

There are some way to move data bethween disks.
For example, if you have the LVM you can do all on line.

The way that I prefere is to use the dd command

You havo to build to the new disk all the partitions that you need.
If you need to move partition that are in use, and that you can't
umount, you have to start with the Install cd in the rescue mode.

It is better that the partition have the same size.
The command is
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb3 bs=4096

where hda1 is the source partition and hdb3 is the destination
partition.

In the same way you can copy all the disk to another using hda instead
of hda1

When copy disks, the result is another disk with same partition table,
and same data.

Bye
 Ambrogio