patching FC3 kernel

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Apr 16 02:28:17 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 16.04.2005 schrieb Birt, Jeffrey um 3:44:

> > The FC release notes say to do a rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch>kernel.spec
> > (where <arch> is the desired architecture).  I would assume this would
> > be something like i386, i586, i686?  (I know this is s silly question)
> > how do I know what to set this to?
>
> Have a look at the .spec file in SPECS. Your patch must be in SOURCES.
>
> Alexander

> I would guess your referring to this line:
> # groups of related archs
> %define all_x86 i586 i686
>
> so either i586 or i686 would be the correct choice for a pentium M processor?  I've found lot's of refrences that
> explain that you need to cosse one but nothing that explains the criterion on which that decision should be made.
>
> i should copy the patch into sources before the rpm build?

> Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I seem not to have really understand what you intention is.
I thought you want to add a custom patch to the FC3 kernel by building
the kernel as an RPM from the SRPM.

a) Yes, the "target" for rpmbuild is one of those defined in the
kernel-2.6.spec file. Your Pentium M is --target=i686.

b) If you want to rebuild the kernel RPM by adding your patch then edit
the .spec file. You see there serveral patches already. So add i.e.

Patch10010: s3_late_bios_new.patch

(keep care the patch file is located in the SOURCES directory)

and below add the corresponding patch line

%patch10010 -p1

Now if your patch requires to make a setting in the config add

for file in *.config; do
	echo "CONFIG_OPTION_NAME=y" >> $file
done

That will add the setting for all config files. Having edited the spec
file you now build the kernel RPM running

rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec

The advantage of going this route is, that when you install the new
kernel it will be added to grub automatically.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 04:13:25 up 4 days, 53 users, load average: 1.19, 1.17, 0.76