up2date service not working?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 09:48:46 UTC 2005

On Saturday 16 Apr 2005 5:39 am, Chris Gramer wrote:
> This may have been answered already.  If so, apologies for a duplicate
> question.  Feel free to direct me to a Bugzilla URL or something.  But
> about three weeks ago, after having used FC3 for a good month or so,
> up2date stopped working in that it gets stuck at the "resolving package
> dependencies" stage.  It just keeps working and working and working.
> Previously, it had worked wonderfully, updating my system whenever there
> were updates to be had without a hitch.  Did something change with the
> servers where up2date gets its files from?  I'd really like to get my
> system up to date.

This has been a problem with up2date for as long as I have been regularly
using redhat/FC as my home OS, which is around the redhat 7 time (e.g. here's
a link to a very similar sounding problem for RH7.2 !!
http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Mail-Archives/redhat/Apr-2002/msg01002.ht)

It's been discussed many other times to my knowledge.. My advice is to follow
the advice of others, and switch to yum/apt to update. You won't look back.

Chris