[FC3] How to do key remapping on X startup???

VB vboyt at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 18:46:23 UTC 2005

--- Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Sa, den 16.04.2005 schrieb VB um 20:19:
>
> > Right, it isn't the first time you posted.  I
> tried
> > putting a file in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d but how
> do
> > I tell the system to run my new script that I
> placed
> > in there?  It doesn't run just by putting a file
> in
> > that directory.
>
> It will be executed automatically by
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common. You
> have done something wrong if it doesn't happen. The
> script file is
> executable?
>
> From /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common [FC3]:
>
> # run all system xinitrc shell scripts.
> for file in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* ; do
>     if echo $file | grep -q "\.sh$" ; then
>         . $file
>     else
>         echo "warning: $file does not end in .sh
> extension, ignoring"
>     fi
> done
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG
> http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel
> 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
> Serendipity 20:28:56 up 4 days, 17:09, load average:
> 0.29, 0.39, 0.31
> > --

Yes it's executable...I'll try again and get back.

BTW in response to your statement that you think
xmodmap only gets run when xdm is used, I mentioned in
issued from xinitrc-common as far as I can tell
because I wrapped the statement where xmodmap runs
~/.Xmodmap and the two statements wrapping the
'xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap' statement both are run.

For example, I changed the code in xinitrc-common to
something like:

touch /root/something
xmodmap <user's home dir>/.Xmodmap
touch /root/something2

then I come into /root and see the two files.