Help Getting Root's email to recipient

tonydm inbox at mariosmaintenance.com
Sun Apr 17 03:59:48 UTC 2005

I watched the recent thread regarding the root's email settings, hoping
to get from it the answer for my problem.  And perhaps it was there but
I missed it.  So forgive me if this was indeed covered.

I'm trying to configure my system so that messages sent to the root
account are forwarded on to me.  I am running logcheck and want all
warnings to be emailed to me.  I have edited the line following #Person
who should get root's mail in /etc/aliases to read root:
me-user at myemailaddress.com (example to state the obvious).  I have then
run newaliases.  Here's my trouble, or lack of understanding.  I am not
getting any of the roots messages.  I do not have a mailserver running
on this box.  Sendmail is stopped.  How should I/or should I need to
configure an email account in thunderbird or the like?  How do I forward
the roots mail to me-user at myemailaddress.com?  I'm missing something
obvious, but this greenhorn could use your help.

Thanks for your contributions!

tonydm