Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:01:02 UTC 2005

On 4/16/05, tonydm <inbox at mariosmaintenance.com> wrote:
> I watched the recent thread regarding the root's email settings, hoping
> to get from it the answer for my problem.  And perhaps it was there but
> I missed it.  So forgive me if this was indeed covered.
>
> I'm trying to configure my system so that messages sent to the root
> account are forwarded on to me.  I am running logcheck and want all
> warnings to be emailed to me.  I have edited the line following #Person
> who should get root's mail in /etc/aliases to read root:
> me-user at myemailaddress.com (example to state the obvious).  I have then
> run newaliases.  Here's my trouble, or lack of understanding.  I am not
> getting any of the roots messages.  I do not have a mailserver running
> on this box.  Sendmail is stopped.  How should I/or should I need to
> configure an email account in thunderbird or the like?  How do I forward
> the roots mail to me-user at myemailaddress.com?  I'm missing something
> obvious, but this greenhorn could use your help.
>
> Thanks for your contributions!
>
> tonydm

I don't think you need all that. If you have sendmail running, just
do, in your root home folder:

this should automatically forward all root mail to me-user at myemailaddress.com.

> --

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680