Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Apr 17 13:51:01 UTC 2005

Am So, den 17.04.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 15:06:

> > I don't think you need all that. If you have sendmail running, just
> >
> > do, in your root home folder:
> > > echo me-user at myemailaddress.com > .forward
> >
> > this should automatically forward all root mail to
> > me-user at myemailaddress.com.
> >

> I just implemented this and it works great. I have one question: Does this
> command set up this forwarding permanently, or does it have to be run each
> time I restart the computer?

If you don't delete the .forward file, it will stay.

> Claude Jones

Be aware that if you don't have a resolvable FQDN for your Sendmail host
the mail has a high chance to be rejected by the MX host of the
recipient address. To avoid that use the smart host setting in
sendmail.mc.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:49:11 up 5 days, 12:29, load average: 0.26, 0.41, 0.39