Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 17 19:52:15 UTC 2005

On Sun April 17 2005 02:56 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 17.04.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 20:40:
> > Well, I tried this, but I probably misunderstood where you intended I put
> > it. My crontab calls up this script:
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start
> > gotmail -u [my username] -p [mypassword] -f claude_jones at levitjames.com
> > --delete
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop
>
> Put the 3 commands - but see Matthew's comment about Sendmail running (I
> second to not stop that service) - into 1 bash script and run that from
> crontab.
>
> > I tried putting your suggested line,  "/dev/null 2>&1" at the top of this
> > script, an after the second line, but neither of these worked --
> > Is this the right script? Right position in the script? Or are you
> > speaking of putting this line in the Perl script? When you say "behind
> > the script command" I'm not clear what you mean, exactly.
>
> Well, the command sequence is meant to redirect the output to electronic
> nirvana.
>
> gotmail -u [my username] -p [mypassword] -f claude_jones at levitjames.com
> --delete > /dev/null 2>&1

Ok, I did as you suggested, but I'm still getting the messages, but, with a
twist - this is the latest:

Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]
Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client: [  OK  ]

As opposed to what I was getting previously:

Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]
Gotmail v0.8.2    Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Peter Hawkins
Gotmail comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Getting hotmail index page...
Processing java check....
Logging in...
Following redirect...
Going to Inbox Page: http://by21fd.bay21.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMail
$folder_index_url->/cgi-bin/folders?
Processing Folder: "Inbox", Total messages:Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]
Gotmail v0.8.2    Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Peter Hawkins
Gotmail comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Getting hotmail index page...
Processing java check....
Logging in...
Following redirect...
Going to Inbox Page: http://by21fd.bay21.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMail
$folder_index_url->/cgi-bin/folders?
Processing Folder: "Inbox", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Sent Messages", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Drafts", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Junk E-Mail", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.

All done!
Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client: [  OK  ] 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Sent Messages", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Drafts", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Junk E-Mail", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.

All done!
Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client: [  OK  ]

So, I guess my next question relates to your comment about Matthew's comment
about not stop/starting sendmail. I had done this because I had read that
this service should be kept off to improve security. I thought I was being
clever, but, I gather you/Matthew are saying this isn't an issue?  Should I
take any security measures regarding sendmail if I turn it on permanently?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA