Feedora doesn't recognize modem

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 21:36:44 UTC 2005

--- linux at flippingdades.com wrote:
> Hi,
> With the help of this list, I'm progressing with my
> attempt to install
> and use Fedora.
>
> Now I'm hung up on the modem. I'll deal with the
> sound card problems
> later.
>
> Configuring the modem with the network config wizard
> results in the
> message: "No modem was found on your system".
> Continuing allows me to
> install a "Generic Modem" but when I try to activate
> it, I get:
>
> "Failed to activate with error 2"
>
> Running from a live CD of MepisLinux, I can connect
> to the internet via
> dial-up. I assume this proves that I do not have a
> WinModem. Is this
> correct?
Almost, but the modem query proves otherwise.  a
/dev/slamr and /dev/ttySL0 link instead of a
/dev/ttyS* where * is a number from 0 to 9 would mean
a hardware modem and not a winmodem.

> Running from the live Mepis CD, the command lspci
> returns a list that
> includes:
>
> 0000:0011.6 Communications controller: VIA
> Technologies, Inc. Intel 537
> [AC97 Modem] (rev 80)
>
> I get the same thing with lspci in the installed
> Fedora system.
>
> With the live Mepis CD and the modem working, the
> QUERY button in modem
> setup gives this:
>
> ATI:  56000
> ATI1: Soft Modem, 2.9.6 Smart Link Ltd
> ATI2: Soft Modem, 2.9.6 Smart Link Ltd
> ATI3: /dev/slamr0 modemap driver
> ATI4: 000 s21=000 s22=000 s23=000
> ATI5: Stored Profile 0:
> ATI6: Sroted profile 1:
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
> Don
>

> --

Apparently it is a winmodem.  From the query modem,
your modem is supported and you need to get the
Smartlink Drivers from
http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=135 or
from the linmodems.org website.  Setting the modem up
should not be a problem.  download the file
slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz.
and in your home directory
tar -zxvf slmodem-2.9.10
Follow instructions in README or INSTALL and you will
be on your way to making this modem work in Fedora.
If you need any further assistance or help feel free
to go to linmodems.org website and get scanModem.gz
and indeed verify that it is a smartlink supported
modem.

Hope it helps,

Antonio