multimedia licensing

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 02:03:10 UTC 2005

Just last night I tried once again to make a nice desktop wallpaper uing
Gimp. Once again, I couldn't get the damn thing to do what I wanted. I
wanted a very simple picture with two oval holes cut out and two other
images inserted behind. I must have tried for half the evening, to no avail.
In Corel Photopaint I had it done in about an hour. I am not a graphic
artist and barely know how to use these programs, but I know the basics to
get what I need done, more or less. So, I guess I'm stuck with PhotoPaint
for a while... That's why I bought vmware. Talk about a costly dependence
LOL

It seems a lot of the office junk that gets sent around at work is in
Powerpoint format: cuddly kittens and cute puppies with endearing quotes
underneath. Still, it bugs me that I can't view them using Linux apps
(sometimes I want to steal a picture from one of the plates, or something).
And that's just it: I would like to not use M$ apps, since I already have
alternate tools, but they just don't always work when I need them.

I think you're right about M$ changing the formats every year... so that
other software can't open the latest versions. 'Cause I think that OO, Abi
and KOffice do work with older versions.

I tried the free trial of Crossover about a year ago, but removed it again.
I feel that it just entices you not to rely on Linux native programs.

I'm not a big game player, but I have noticed that some of those
webpage-based ones don't work in Linux. But more and more, with the
reliability of java and flash under Linux, they do. I was pretty excited
about America's Army being available as a Linux program. I did get quite
hooked on that!

I'll have to find out what transgaming is. Sounds interesting, maybe just
what I've needed to get those stubborn sites working?