[FC3] kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 freezes on boot

Yuandan Zhang yzhang4 at turing.une.edu.au
Tue Apr 19 05:22:02 UTC 2005

Michael Hennebry wrote:

>On 16 Apr 2005, Slava Bizyayev wrote:
>

>>I use kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP OmniBook XE2 pretty happily.
>>After updating kernel to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 I experience a strange
>>behavior -- in the end of the boot (instead of X-login screen) machine
>>freezes, and I cannot even get the terminal access with ctrl-alt-F1. Has
>>someone experienced something similar? What's the work around?
>>

>For some reason, when I installed FC3, I got two kernels,
>one for SMP, the other for uniprocessing.
>Although I only have one processor,
>the SMP version was made the default.
>Unless I was quick enough to stop it, the SMP version would
>run for a while and freeze.  The reset button produced an
>unclean reboot.  After about three of those, the filesystems
>were corrupted beyond repair.  I had to reinstall.
>My work-around was to edit grub's configuration file to ignore
>the SMP version.
>
>Perhaps your update produced a similar evil.

Hi, I got exactly the same problem. I upgaded kernel from
kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP nx5000 to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3, Boot
freezed. I troed to boot to the old kernel kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3, it
froze too.

Many help to get it started? If I used FC rescure disk, How can revert
current kernel to orignial one?

Thanks a lot

Yuandan