Setting up a Backup Mail Server

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Apr 19 13:45:56 UTC 2005

Hello,
I have my own domain, let's say: myrealname.org. I already set up a mail
server (mail.myrealname.org) and MX record for that domain, with MX = 10 and
it works just fine.

What I need help is with the following.
I want to setup a backup mail server with MX = 20, so in case the main mail
server is down, the backup mail server will collect the incoming mail. The
backup mail server, let's call it myothermachine.org is on another network.
How do I set up the backup mail server (using sendmail) to do the following

(1). If mail.myrealname.org is down, collect the incoming mail for that
domain, and keep trying to relay the incoming to the mail.myrealname.org. But
the backup mail server should _never_ inform the mail sender that
mail.myrealname.org (I've played around with this a bit, and by default the
backup mail server sends a respond back to the mail sender saying basically
that the main mailserver is down, and it keeps trying to relay. I don't think
the sender needs to know that).

(2). While doing (1) and keep trying to relay to mail.myrealname.org, I want
the backup mail server to also send a copy of all incoming mails to yet
another account, say "myname at gmail.com". So in the case that I am away and
cannot bring the main mail server up, I still can get to my emails. When the
main mail server is back, then the backup mail server should flush all the
mails that it stores to the main mail server.

Any help / pointer on how do this ?

Thank you in advance.
RDB
--